top of page

4. Saint-Anne Church

Before the Revolution of 1789, the Municipality of Auberive did not have a parish church; the sharecroppers went to religious services at the abbey. It was in 1772 that Dom Pinelle, the last commanding abbot, built a small chapel named Saint-Anne surrounded by a communal cemetery. In 1863, the priest-dean Barthélémy had the chapel enlarged, thanks to public donations, to transform it into a church. The cemetery had to be moved outside the village where it is currently located. The church benefits from a canted choir where the square choir is located, as well as a transept and a sacristy in the neoclassical style. Barthélémy had the porch tower erected at the end of the nave. The Church benefited from an elegant bell tower added in 1864-1866, transforming it into a true parish church. On April 26, 1884, the first stone was blessed by the Bishop of Langres, Monseigneur Bouange, in the presence of the mayor. On the facade, we see the life-size statues (1.75 m) of Saint-Pierre with his keys and Saint-Paul holding the sword, sculpted by Jules Naudet de Langres, a pupil of Rude.

mariage Bertrand- Radel (25-09-1911).jpg
eglise .JPG
IMG_7451.jpg
© Maud Sarracanie
©Alexia Volot

Mariage Bertrand-Radel (1911),

Coll. privée

plaque%20eglise_edited.jpg

. Inside the church, you will find a commemorative plaque in memory of Auberive's children who died for France, as well as a tribute to Geneviève Aubertin and Suzanne Bret, wife of Lamy.

Suzanne LAMY & Geneviève AUBERTIN

Under the Occupation, Suzanne Bret resided at Vivey-Chalmessin station (Haute-Marne). Her husband, who served in a pioneer regiment in 1940 and was a prisoner until October 1940, was the leader of the Vivey Maquis.

Geneviève Aubertin, an auxiliary employee of the SNCF, was liaison officer of the Resistance, for the benefit of the Maquis Max.

On August 22, 1944, the two women were returning by bicycle from plum picking when they were arrested in Auberive territory, at the crossroads of the Vivey and Praslay roads. They were led to the Saint-Rémy chapel, near the Allofroy farm, by Russian soldiers serving in the German army (Vlassov Army). They found themselves facing their executioner - a drunken, sadistic Russian soldier. Hit with rifles and boots, they were murdered with gunshots to the chest. 

“My report cannot dissociate these two soul mates, sisters in life as in death, who did France the greatest honor. », Mr. STEPHAN, mayor of Auberive in 1944.

bottom of page